Red to the Core...
We understand how fashionable it is to be green but its nothing new at Hi-way 9. We started back in 1992 by limiting the speed of our vehicles to 100 km/hr. We followed that by utilizing long combination vehicles (two loads/1 power unit) in 1996 and implementing a “no idle” policy in 1998.
We were the first company to purchase EPA compliant vehicles in 2007 and we’ve always made a point of rewarding our drivers for safe, efficient operation of Hi-way 9 vehicles. We continue to implement initiatives to protect generations to come. Following are a few of the highlights:
- Increased load factors to minimize miles travelled. More freight, less trucks.
- Proper spec trucks, we are LTL carrier so loads are lighter, hence we can use smaller horsepower and single axle trucks and trailers, less rolling friction.
- GPS tracking, making for more efficient routes travelled.
- Use of aerodynamic technologies and short wheelbases to reduce wind drag.
- Automated shifted transmissions so engine is running at optimum fuel efficient range.
- Partcipants in Fleetsmart and NRGCan.
- SmartWay certified.
- Implement of Espar Diesel heaters for better starts, reduction of energy used.
- Installation of trailer skirts where feasible to achieve fuel economy improvements.
- Waste oil heaters will be going into new maintenance facility for additional heat and use of our waste oil we create.